The recovery time of Tummy Tuck surgery differs according to the patient’s body structure and the success of the operation. Acting according to the doctor’s recommendations after surgery will positively affect the recovery process. It should also be noted that there is a different recovery time for each activity after the operation.
There are a number of points that patients should pay attention to in order to experience a rapid recovery process. It will be useful to give general information about the Tummy Tuck operation before addressing these issues. The details about this procedure and the healing process, which are widely preferred today, are given below.
Table of Contents
What Is Tummy Tuck?
Due to excessive weight loss or a similar reason, excess skin may occur in the abdomen area. This is extremely unfavorable in terms of cosmetics and greatly reduces people’s quality of life. The operation in which the excess skin in question is removed and the abdominal area is tightened is called Tummy Tuck. There are different types of this procedure, also known as abdomen lifting surgery. Depending on the condition of the patient, the appropriate one is preferred. In the operation, the excess of skin and fat is totally removed.
Things To Consider Before Tummy Tuck Surgery
There are a number of points that you should pay attention to for the Tummy Tuck operation to be successful. All of these are extremely important and should not be underestimated. Although they seem like extremely simple issues, they are very likely to affect the operation. Things to consider before Tummy Tuck surgery can be listed as follows:
- You should stop eating and drinking at least 12 hours before surgery.
- Tell your doctor about your medical history and medications you use regularly before surgery. If you are asked to take a break, act according to your doctor’s instructions.
- Ask your doctor about any questions you have in mind during the consultation phase. Express your expectations from the surgery fully.
- Clean your home in detail before the operation. You may not be able to do this for a while.
- Since it is a procedure performed under general anesthesia, you may need a companion while and after the hospital stage. You should plan for this.
- Leave your valuables at home while coming to the surgery. Do not bring them to the clinic.
- A pulse monitor can be attached to your finger during the surgery. Therefore, do not wear artificial nails and remove your nail polishes while coming to the surgery.
- Come to the surgery with comfortable and full (large) clothes. It is extremely important that you feel comfortable.
It is extremely important to fulfill the issues here. Therefore, it should be taken seriously and should not be neglected. Otherwise, there may occur an immeasurable number of unexpected negativities and this may affect the recovery process negatively.
Things To Pay Attention To After Tummy Tuck Surgery
Your post-surgery behavior and how much attention you pay to yourself affects the recovery process. The points to be considered after the operation are generally as follows:
- Follow all the advice given by your doctor.
- Stop using alcohol and smoking completely. If you cannot do this, take a break until the date your doctor will indicate. Otherwise, your recovery process will be negatively affected and prolonged.
- Eat according to the diet prepared for you.
- If your job is not too heavy, get at least 2 weeks off. But keep in mind that if you have a heavy job, the period of leave should not be less than 6 weeks. Plan accordingly and get your permission from your workplace.
- Rest in bed for the first 2 days after the operation. In the following phase, try to be as mobile as possible. Do not tire and strain yourself too much at this stage but try not to stay still either.
- Regularly use painkillers, antibiotics and other medications prescribed by your doctor.
Tummy Tuck Recovery Time
The surgery is performed under general anesthesia. Therefore, you will not feel any pain during the operation. Apart from that, do not forget that you will stay in the hospital for at least 1 day due to general anesthesia. Depending on your condition, this period maybe a little longer.
You will feel pain and swelling in your abdomen immediately after the operation. This is perfectly normal. If the pain is severe, you can take painkillers prescribed by your doctor. Thus, you will have the opportunity to get over this period much more comfortably. These pain and swellings will disappear completely over time. You can also prevent the swelling to a certain extent by wearing the compression gear that will be prescribed by your doctor. You must wear this garment for 6 weeks. Thus, your recovery process will be positively affected.
Your stitches are removed 5-7 days after surgery. Note that you will have to wait a little longer for deeper stitches to be removed.
It is forbidden to exercise for 6 weeks after the operation. You should get over this period actively resting. It takes 3-6 months for the wounds to heal in the operation area. These wounds may look bad without before they are completely healed. A period of 1 year is needed to fully see the effect of the operation. You can see the best results at the end of this period.
Frequently Asked Questions About Tummy Tuck Surgery
Will there be any scarring after tummy tuck surgery?
- Every incision made in surgical procedures causes scarring on the body. Tummy Tuck is a comprehensive procedure and therefore there is a possibility of scarring. However, your doctor will show the necessary sensitivity to make this scar as tiny as possible. Since the incisions are made in invisible points, this will not pose a serious problem.
How should I rest after the operation?
- You should be careful not to bend your knees, especially during the first 2 weeks. Apart from this, you can rest as you wish.
Can I lose weight with this surgery?
- Although fat and skin removal are performed in Tummy Tuck surgery, the purpose of this surgery is never to lose weight. The main purpose here is to remove excess skin in the abdominal area and to have a tighter abdominal appearance. Therefore, it should be known that this is not an operation to replace diet and exercise.
Is there a difference between Liposuction and Tummy Tuck?
- In the liposuction procedure, only excess fat is removed. In this procedure, however, the main purpose is to stretch the abdominal muscles and remove excess skin.
How long do I have to wear a special corset?
- You should be careful to use the corset for 6 weeks during the recovery period after Tummy Tuck surgery. Depending on your condition, your doctor may prolong or shorten this period.