Hair transplantation is a procedure that effectively addresses people’s hair problems. Thanks to this procedure, it is possible to regain lost hair. Specialist physicians have a great role in hair transplantation. But apart from doctors, health technicians and nurses involved in the operation also have very important roles. The knowledge and experience of other healthcare professionals, other than the attending physician, directly affect the success of the procedure.
Nurses and technicians can be considered as secret heroes of hair transplantation. Although they are not in the limelight, they take an important role in hair transplantation with their work. To understand how important the roles of technicians and nurses are, it will be useful to know the general steps of the hair transplantation procedure.
What are the duties of technicians in hair transplantation? Why is technician support needed? You can find all the details in our article.
How Is Hair Transplantation Performed?
Hair transplantation is a procedure that has been done for many years and is constantly being improved. The techniques used in the past had several problems such as scars left on the scalp and low success rate. In today’s techniques, there are none of such problems. The steps followed during the procedure are generally as follows:
- Collection of individual hair follicles from the donor area
- Preparing the area where hair will be transplanted
- Preparation of hair grafts
- Opening of canals on the area to be planted
- Placement of grafts in the canals
Hair transplantation procedure is performed as above in general terms. (In the latest DHI technique, there is even no need for extra channel opening.) Nurses and technicians also take part in almost all of the stages mentioned here.
The Role of Technicians and Nurses in Hair Transplantation
Hair transplantation has different stages and different health personnel take part in these stages. First of all, it should not be forgotten that the general control of the procedure is in the hands of the doctor. They check every procedure and make sure it is appropriate. If there is a deficiency or error at this point, they can request it to be corrected.
The terms “technician” and “nurse” can often be confused with each other. Some nurses can also be named as technicians. But not all technicians are nurses at the same time. Below are the tasks which nurses and technicians undertake during hair transplantation.
- Nurses take part in preparations before hair transplantation. They ensure that the scalp is prepared for transplantation. When necessary, they make an incision on the scalp. They also provide some aftercare services after hair transplantation is completed.
- Technicians take part in the preparation of collected hair grafts. They can also take part in placing them in the channels. Apart from these, they help patients with hair care, how to wash and similar issues.
- It can be said that the procedures performed by technicians are relatively more technical. When examined in terms of time, technicians work for a longer period of time in a hair transplantation procedure compared to nurses. This means that patients see technicians more than they see nurses.
Considering the issues here, all of the healthcare professionals taking part in hair transplantation should have serious knowledge and expertise. If there are some deficiencies in these issues, some problems may occur and hair transplantation may fail, in other words, be unsuccessful.
You May Also Like: Do You Have Too Much Hair Loss in the Shower?
Why Are Technicians Needed in Hair Transplantation?
Hair transplantation is a procedure that significantly affects people’s lives today. It takes about 1 year to complete this procedure and see the exact results. Therefore, it is extremely important that it is successful. Otherwise, both the hair donors used are wasted and a significant waste of time is experienced. In order to avoid these, hair transplantation should be performed perfectly. And this makes it necessary for technicians to take part in hair transplantation. The reason why technicians are involved in hair transplantation can be explained more clearly with the following items:
- Hair transplantation is a long procedure and usually takes between 5 to 10 hours. Technicians are needed for a long procedure to go like clockwork.
- Different techniques are applied in hair transplantation and in the most preferred of these techniques, more than one procedure should be performed simultaneously. For example, when collecting grafts, it is necessary to open the canals in the area where hair will be transplanted. Special personnel other than the doctor are needed for this procedure.
- In order for hair transplantation to be successful, grafts must be left out for as little time as possible. For this, it is very important to perform hair transplantation quickly. Technicians are needed because it is not possible for the doctor to reach this speed alone.
- Significant concentration and care are needed at every stage of this procedure. Collecting grafts, preparing the collected hair follicles by purifying them from the tissues, opening the channels at the right angle, and similar procedures mean a serious workload. If all this is loaded only to the doctor, there is a possibility that the procedure will fail. Technicians play an important role in sharing this workload.
- It is not easy for the doctor to show his talents in the same way at any time in a long procedure. At this point, he may sometimes need help. Technicians are known to seriously assist doctors in maintaining attention and reducing the number of procedures he has to perform.
Considering the aforementioned issues, it will be more clearly understood how great role technicians and nurses have in hair transplantation. Therefore, it should be remembered that not only a good doctor, but also a high-quality medical team should be preferred in hair transplantation.