Gaining weight affects the area under face as well as it affects the other body parts. Especially, fat accumulated in chin may cause double chin condition. Even though it is possible to burn fat in some body parts with diet and exercise, it is not the same for stubborn fat located under face. One of the most effective methods of getting rid of stubborn fat in these areas is to apply submental liposuction. Well, what is submental liposuction? How is it applied? Who can apply? What advantages does it provide? All the answers are in our article.
Table of Contents
What is Submental Liposuction?
Everybody knows the fact that it is really hard to burn fat accumulated under chin with diet and exercise. Process of removing fat in this area with liposuction technique through tiny incisions is called submental liposuction. With this process, a line is created between chin and neck which candidates desire to have.
As mentioned above, submental liposuction is applied to remove accumulated fat in chin and the area below it. However, candidates must meet some prerequisites for this process, which can be listed as below:
- Double chin formation due to fat accumulation
- Desire to make jaw line more prominent
- Desire to look younger by reshaping chin area
- Skin elasticity
- Desire to remove wrinkles and fat accumulation
- Inability to remove chin fat despite having ideal weight
- Being in a healthy situation and not to have a health problem that prevents the operation.
Patients who meet the conditions above can receive submental liposuction. By reaching out to our specialist surgeons, you can find out if you are a suitable candidate for this operation or not.
Preparation Before Submental Liposuction
Submental liposuction is a surgical procedure which is related to facial area. In order to have success with this procedure, some preparations must be made before the surgery.
3-4 Weeks Before Surgery
- At first, meet with your doctor to complete the required lab tests and to have your medical evaluation for surgery. You should also have the examinations requested by your surgeon who will perform the operation. Note that all of these requests and the process should be completed at least 2 weeks prior to surgery.
- As you will need to rest and avoid labored work for a few weeks after the surgery, you may need to take time off from work. Besides, getting help from a companion in the house for housework or taking care of your child will make this process easier for you.
- Smoking negatively affects blood flow and accordingly, recovery time is prolonged. Therefore, you should stop smoking completely or stop using it before the surgery. Quitting 4 weeks before the surgery will minimize negative effects of smoking.
2 Weeks Before Surgery
- You should attend to a pre-operative appointment to evaluate the surgical plan with your surgeon and to discuss other details with your patient coordinator. There you will be given detailed information by your doctor, also you can ask any question in your mind.
- Since some foods and beverages are likely to increase the risk of bruising and bleeding significantly, you should start eating according to the diet provided by your doctor 2 weeks before surgery. You should not use medical pills and products such as aspirin, ibuprofen, blood thinners, Vitamin E, alcohol and fish oil. Detailed information will be given by your doctor.
- Painkillers and antibiotics can be prescribed by your doctor for the period after the operation in this meeting. Be sure to understand how to use them.
The Night Before Surgery
- Stop eating and drinking the night before surgery. If you need to use a prescribed medicine, take your medicine with minimum water as much as you can.
- Set an area to relax at home where you will rest after your discharge. Set your pillows, blankets and books. This will help you feel comfortable after surgery.
- You can shave or take a shower before surgery. However, you should not use cosmetic products such as perfumes and lotions.
- Choose comfortable, loose, buttoned or zippered clothes.
- Do not wear make-up and do not use cosmetic products.
- Leave your valuables at home
- Remove your jewelry or piercing when you are going to the clinic
The success rate of submental liposuction will increase and healing process will be shorter provided that you consider these suggestions mentioned above.
How is Submental Liposuction Applied?
Submental liposuction is performed similarly to conventional liposuction. However, the main difference here is that less fat is removed from a sensitive area such as face and under-face. The incisions for liposuction are usually 2-3 mm or smaller. Incisions are made just below chin, in natural folds and wrinkles of face. Thus, the possibility of permanent scar after healing is completely eliminated.
In this procedure, patients should have good skin elasticity. However, if it is understood that skin elasticity of a patient is not good enough during the procedure, radiofrequency is applied onto skin to warm it with a special apparatus. In this way, after the operation, lower part of skin is stimulated for collagen production and skin is tightened. This situation significantly eliminates the possibility of skin sagging after liposuction.
Submental liposuction is a procedure that takes 30-60 minutes on average and it is performed under local anesthesia. Patients are usually discharged on the same day. In addition, this procedure can optionally be combined with different procedures such as rhinoplasty and facelift.
Submental liposuction procedure has some complications. These can be listed generally as follows:
- It is common and normal to experience light bleeding or bloody drainage for a few days after the procedure.
- Effects such as bruising and redness may occur. These go away on their own without any treatment.
- There may be swelling in the relevant area and it may persist for weeks. Although exercise and physical activity can cause swelling to worsen, this is temporary. Therefore, it should not be forgotten that exercise has positive effects on swelling and healing process in the long term.
- There may be itching in incision area
- Pain may occur after surgery. For this, you can use painkillers prescribed by your doctor.
- Skin sensitivity or numbness may occur in the affected area. These are also normal and temporary.
The above mentioned complications are generally temporary and most of them do not require any treatment. Except complications, even though they are at minimum level, submental liposuction surgery has some risks. These risks are:
- Excessive bleeding and bruising
- Nerve damage
- Fat embolism (occurs when fat enters into blood stream)
- Pulmonary complications
After the procedure you can go back to work within 5-7 days. But do not forget the fact that swelling will last for several weeks. During this period, avoid strenuous exercise and activities. If you have a strenuous job, you may need to spend this process on leave for a while. After the operation, a compression bandage is applied to the relevant area approximately for 1 week.
Final results come clear for you to see after 1 month on average. It is impossible to see results before a month because of the conditions such as bruising and swelling.
Do not forget that you should follow the instructions provided by your doctor for a short and smooth healing period.
Submental liposuction is a procedure that significantly affects appearance. Procedures performed by experienced and expert surgeons within Cosmeticium will meet your expectations. Having the opportunity of online consultation allows you to get detailed information about the subject and to have an idea about the results of the operation before you come to Turkey.
Cosmeticium makes a detailed planning for you for submental liposuction or other cosmetic procedures. Thus, you can directly focus on your treatment process without dealing with tiring and time-consuming details. For more detailed information on the subject, you can contact us without wasting any time.
Fill in the Form Below to Get Answers Within Hours to All Your Questions About Submental Liposuction in Turkey. (FREE)